Tips for successHere are some of Shona’s top tips for developing your personal brand:
- Analyse your strengths. What makes you unique? What are your brand values? Are you playing to your strengths?
- Seek out feedback on how you are currently perceived by gathering consistent and regular feedback. It doesn’t have to be formal but it will uncover blind-spots – both positive and negative – that you can focus on and maximise or make a point of working on.
- Make a great first impression. Can you sell yourself in 30 seconds? Practice your ‘elevator pitch’. It doesn’t have to be all work either – saying you’re a former ballroom dancing champion will help make you memorable!
- Sharpen your body language. It’s 55% of your communication. Use eye contact, a firm handshake, be mindful of your tone of voice and be enthusiastic about what you do.
- Build your network and your online presence.
- Develop and refine your brand over time. How do you want to be seen in 6 – 12 months’ time and make small changes to the way you look, sound and behave.
- Believe in yourself. Look and say yes to opportunities even if you can’t yet do the full job, project or piece of work. There may be a way to work around any obstacles once you’ve shown your willingness to step up.